Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Remind me to never complain about lack of blog fodder again

Friday morning, I posted Seven Quick Takes in which I mentioned a couple of times that I was scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of blog post ideas.

At about 4:20 on Friday, Scott called to let me know that he'd gotten off work early and could I come pick him up? So I did. We got back about 4:45; it was too early to eat dinner so we settled down in the living room with our respective laptops.

The moment we did so, we heard thunder. We didn't think much of it, just unplugged our laptops and kept right on computing. Then the power started flickering. Again, we didn't think much of it.

Around 5:30, the power went off and stayed off. We still weren't worried. After a little while, Scott fell asleep and I went back to my laptop. Around 7:00 the power still wasn't back on and my laptop had run out of battery (it runs down the battery really fast), so I called my family to complain about how bored I was. (There was enough light coming in through our west-facing patio door that I could have read a book, but complaining is so much more fun.) They'd lost power around 4:00 and the little kids were apparently both kinda cranky. While Mom and I were commiserating Scott woke up from his nap. We decided to see if his family had power. They did. (The funny thing is that they live 3 miles away, while my family lives 80 miles away. I guess power outages happened in patches across Ohio.) So we packed up our laptops and some leftover macaroni and went over. (Since they weren't expecting company, Scott's family had made just enough fish for everybody currently living there.) We used their microwave and their air conditioning and their internet and actually passed a fairly pleasant evening. We left around midnight, but not before borrowing a flashlight and a battery-powered lantern thing just in case our power wasn't back on.

It wasn't. So we passed a rather stuffy night. I woke up around 7:30 the next morning and puttered around for a little while. At about 9:00 I woke Scott up so I could whine about how bored I was. So we packed up our laptops and our refrigerated food and went back over to his parents' house. (We were hoping the power would come back on before we'd have to worry about the freezer stuff unfreezing.)

Oh, at some point during the night our phone went out as well. That wasn't a big deal since we had the cell phone, but we did end up calling the power company from Scott's parents'. They said that a tree branch had come down on the power lines and they didn't know when the power would be back on, but they'd call to let us know. So we settled in for a day of hanging out. I played Sims, uploaded pictures of Scott's birthday to Facebook, stuff like that. I was kind of socialized out at that point, having spent 5 hours with Scott's family the day before. (Extreme introvert, remember?) 

Around 5:30 we went back to the apartment on a rescue mission for our freezer stuff. While we were on the way back, the power company called Scott's parents' and asked if the power was back on. (My thought: "Um, you tell us. You expect us to hang out in the hot apartment all day waiting for the power to come back?") Scott's mom said no. (She had a logical reason for that, but I forget what it was now.) Anyway, we got back and stuffed our meat stockpile in the basement fridge's freezer. Then we ate dinner with Scott's family. They made stroganoff, inspired by me. I contributed a pound of thawed ground beef.

After dinner I holed up in the living room that doesn't have video game systems. (You know what I'm talking about. At some point in your life you've been in a two-story house that has a living room in the front and another in the back, right? At Scott's parents', the back one is the one with the computer and the TV and everyone plays loud annoying video games in there a lot.) I actually managed to get a little introvert recharge time reading the internet.

Around 9:00 Scott suggested that we go back to the apartment and see if the power was back on. I must have given him a look or something because he said, "Or [Eldest Younger Brother] can drive me." Me: "Yeah, how about you do that." Scott: "Hey, [EYB], you just got volunteered to drive me to the apartment." Me: "Maybe you should ask him before you volunteer him."

Anyway, EYB was feeling self-sacrificial or something so he drove Scott down to the apartment and back and they reported that the power was in fact back on. So Scott and I loaded up all our stuff and drove off. I immediately started the dishwasher, before I even put the food back in the fridge and freezer. (I had loaded it up before we left that morning so that I could pretend that the kitchen was clean and I didn't need to hand-wash any dishes.) Then I told Scott that we would be going to 6 p.m. Mass on Sunday. Usually we go to 12:30, but I didn't feel like getting myself and Scott out the door that early. Plus, he hadn't really gotten to sleep in on Saturday.

Sure enough, Scott slept in until 1:30 on Sunday. He might have slept longer, but I woke him up to tell him I'd made stroganoff and that was interesting enough that he got out of bed. (Since the only thing I'd contributed to the Saturday-night stroganoff was ground beef, I still had all the other ingredients and had plenty of ground beef to replace the other pound. So I made stroganoff for Sunday lunch.)

That's the end of Long Story Number 1. Side note: We still had about half of Scott's birthday cake left, so we brought it along to share with Scott's family. EYB looked at it and said, "Oh, it's a lemon slice." He wins major points for guessing; Scott didn't guess and he had the whole cake to look at instead of just half. (On second thought, maybe a half-cake looks more like a lemon slice.)

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention: I estimated that the power was out for 25 hours because when we got home at 10:30 the clock on the stove said 9:30. I can't explain how I did that math but it makes sense in my head.

Lest you think I do nothing but complain, I will now list the things that made the weekend Not So Bad:

Thing #1: Scott got off work early. Normally I pick him up around 5:30 (so I'm on the road between 5:20 and 5:40 or so, depending on traffic and whatnot). So we would have been on the road right as the worst of the storm was blowing through.

Thing #2: It was the weekend, so while it was kind of lame to have to deal with this instead of lounging around having a relaxing weekend, at least we didn't have to deal with it on top of our usual weekly business.

Thing #3: It was the end of the month, so we had almost nothing in our fridge, making it easy to transport everything over and fit it in the nooks and crannies of Scott's parents' fridge.

Thing #4: Obviously, the fact that Scott's family had power and we were able to go hang out with them made the weekend much less bad. I imagine if that hadn't been the case we would have hung out at the library or something, but I don't think any other arrangement could possibly have been more convenient. 

I had another long tale of woe unrelated to this one, but this post is unwieldy enough already so I'll just leave you all on a cliffhanger.

No comments: