Friday, July 6, 2012

Seven Quick July Takes


--- 1 ---

I've had Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" stuck in my head very nearly continously since Jen Fulwiler posted it in her Seven Quick Takes last week. (I like both the original version and the Pentatonix cover for different reasons; please note that that first link has some nudity.)

And I'm not too unhappy about that.

I always feel vaguely guilty admitting to liking popular secular music (aren't we good Catholic types supposed to just like Gregorian chant or something?), so I figured I'd get that off my chest early.

--- 2 ---

For those of you just tuning in for Quick Takes (so, everybody but my husband and possibly my mother), I posted some Tales of Woe earlier this week. The first world problems have been thick in my life this week.

Addendum to Part Two, by the way: Around lunchtime, I checked messages and had two from EYB, one saying "Scott made the bus" and one saying, "Oh, by the way, Dad says he can drop Scott off after Schola so Scott says you don't have to come unless you want to." So I called Scott's family and sorted out that I would be able to drop off some dinner for him there and Mr. Cobbler et al. would bring it to him. So around 5:00 I did so (that way I only had to drive for 20 minutes total instead of 90 minutes total, and could stay home doing my laundry instead of hanging around trying to be quiet), and around 11:30 Scott finally got home (bear in mind that he had been gone since 8:00 that morning) and reported that he had gotten his dinner and it was delicious.
--- 3 ---

Yesterday I was Skyping my family and Mom let me talk to Matthew for a while. He looked around confusedly and then tried to grab the iPad and put it in his mouth.

Babies and technology are funny.

--- 4 ---

The other day, Teresa was apparently hiding from "creditors." Because creditors are scary and have sharp teeth and claws.

--- 5 ---

High-protein breakfast update: I made egg muffins. I made them once by greasing the pan with shortening and once using cupcake papers. I do not like the cupcake papers. I will try canola oil next, I think.

Anyway, I like them, Scott likes them, they DON'T make Scott sick. (What do boiled eggs and omelettes have in common that baked eggs don't? That's not some weird riddle, I really want to know.) It remains to be seen whether my grocery budget goes up astronomically as a result of all those eggs.

--- 6 ---

Update on the car and air conditioning: I keep forgetting to park it on the shady side of the parking lot. You'd think the sensation of suffocation and burning every time I get into it in the afternoons would motivate me, but no.

--- 7 ---

I am tired of thinking of things to write. Here is a picture of my brother:


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

There is no shame in liking that song. That song may be the best popular song of the entire millenium. Even my husband likes it, and he hates all pop music. Hates it.

GeekLady said...

This is just a random thought, but why don't you get a cheapo prepaid cell phone and keep it stashed for emergencies like you've had lately? It wouldn't be an ongoing expense like a regular phone.

Catholics can like all sorts of popular culture stuff. Sadly, 90% of it is crap. But 90% of everything is crap, according to Sturgeon's Law.

The Sojourner said...

That's what we plan on doing. The one we currently have is the cheap prepaid phone I've had since I was 15; we're looking at other cheap prepaid phones to see which one is the very cheapest. (And waffling on whether to get 2 new phones so that both of them are in the same area code, etc.)

The Sojourner said...

P.S. Virtually every prepaid phone I've researched *does* have a certain amount of ongoing expense. For example, you buy $100 worth of minutes (which could get you anywhere from 400 to 1000 minutes) and those minutes expire in 365 days, so bare minimum you're paying $100 per year for your cell phone just to keep it active and not lose your minutes. If you know of any prepaids that don't work like this, do let me know. :)

GeekLady said...

Hmm. I had a prepaid phone for several years, and I never spent more than $50-60 a year. But I hate talking on the phone, so I always bought low minutes, and they had rollover.
AT&T has go phones with prepaid calling plans where you pay for what you use with a $2/day used unlimited plan (this sounds great for a backup phone you might use a dozen days a year) and a basic 10c a minute plan. I've also heard good things about Cricket from our PhD.