Thursday, August 30, 2012

French Pudding

I pretty much made this up myself, inspired by this recipe (which I had made before) and this recipe (which I hadn't). Also inspired by the fact that I had a bunch of bread heels and didn't want to make bread pudding.

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
1/3 cup sugar
A little bit of cinnamon
9-12 bread heels
4 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Melt butter and pour into the bottom of an 11x7 pan.
Add sugar and a dash of cinnamon; stir.
Tear bread heels into smallish pieces and layer in pan. You want enough for about 3 layers.
In a separate container, mix eggs, milk, vanilla, and another dash of cinnamon.
Pour over bread heels.
Stir up the bread heels a bit so that they are evenly coated with the milk/egg mixture.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

I recommend that you eat this hot and top it with custard, fruit, pancake syrup...whatever you normally have on French toast.
It would probably taste better if you used white bread, but I use wheat bread so that's what my heels are. It's still good, just kind of whole-grainy.


No comments: