Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Fried Pork Chops

The actual recipe is here. I figure a link can't hurt in case I ever want to find it when I'm not in a position to access my frequently-visited sites on Firefox.

Some actual content, just to make this post worth reading: Even though this recipe is so delicious you might just die, I kind of dreaded making it for a while because it just took FOREVER to turn a pork roast into delicious pork chops. Obviously, one solution would be to go up to the meat counter and have them chop your roast for you, but if you have social anxiety that trumps your aversion to handling raw meat, that might not work for you.

So, two tips for turning a pork roast into raw pork chops:

1. Make sure your pork is the right temperature. I have found that half-frozen is the best. If your pork is fridge temperature, it will be too squishy to handle. If your pork is frozen, it will be too hard to cut. So you have two choices: A) Put the pork roast in the freezer for approximately 2 hours after you get home from the store and then take it back out and cut it. B) Take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge approximately 24 hours before you need to cut it up. (So, at least 25 hours before you want to eat dinner.)

2. If your pork has a layer of fat along one side, use scissors. I have a knife block that I got for $30 at Wal-Mart and most of the knives are only slightly better than useless but I would have happily paid $30 for the kitchen shears alone. I use a knife to cut through the fleshy part of the pork and then it's an easy matter to use the scissors to cut through the layer of fat that's holding the chops together along the bottom.

(I'm guessing you could also somehow shave off the fat, but why would you want to do that? Fatty pork is delicious pork.)

I'm making these for dinner tonight. Yum.

No comments: