Friday, August 3, 2012

Seven Quick Takes: Free-Range Wifing Edition


--- 1 ---

First off, please pray for some acquaintances of mine who are going through a very difficult time. That's as specific as I want to get here on the interwebs, but God will know who you mean.

--- 2 ---

I told Scott this morning that I'm getting good practice being a free-range parent* just by being married to him. For example, I take him to the bus stop every morning and LEAVE HIM THERE. ALONE. (This is a new development; the first 2 months I sat in the car and waited for the bus to pick him up before driving home.)

I have no idea how people do this with their actual offspring, though. I am only able to console myself with the idea that Scott was getting on and off buses for a long time before I was married to him and can totally handle himself.

*Please note that I will probably never be an actual free-range parent; I have to pretend to embrace the free-range philosophy just to balance out my extreme neuroticism, so that when I actually have children I will be just mildly overprotective.

--- 3 ---

Scott is actually honing my parenting skills in other ways. For example, we had this conversation last Saturday when we were making a quick stop by his parents' house in between other errands (just before we got out of the car to go inside).

Me: "So, when we go in, what are we going to do?"

Scott: "Get the mail."

Me: "What are we NOT going to do?"

Scott: "Socialize."

(And it was EXACTLY the tone a small child would use, too.)

So we went in, got our mail, said a quick hello just so we wouldn't be rude, and were out again within 5 minutes. It was awesome, but am I the most condescending wife ever or what? The problem is that it WORKS. Making expectations clear beforehand and giving 10-minute warnings and all those things you do with 5-year-olds are the only thing that keeps me from bursting into tears every other day because Scott has this kind of impressionistic idea of how time works. (I'm INTJ, he's INTP. Literally all of our arguments are over J/P differences.)

On the plus side, I am going to be a total expert by the time we have an actual pokey 5-year-old.

--- 4 ---

I spent the last 4 months sewing a tote bag for my sister out of some leftover fabric I happened to have lying around. I wanted to finish it by her birthday, July 25, but I did not. As I mentioned recently, she had a doctor's appointment in the Big City yesterday, so I was determined to finish it by then. And I did. Behold:


I have quite the sense of accomplishment after finishing the tote bag. My next project will be assembling my nightstand, which has been sitting in that box you see under the tote bag for, oh, 3 or 4 months at least.

--- 5 ---

My friend Mari is moving to a new apartment this month and was trying to draw me a picture of the layout. I was therefore inspired to draw a picture of the layout of my apartment. Since I don't think I've ever described the apartment to you all, I thought I'd post it here. Therefore:


I left out almost all of the clutter we have lying on just about every available surface. We are not very tidy people over here. But that gives you a general idea. I actually really like our apartment; its minimalist layout speaks to my sense of efficiency. And I can't even keep 600 square feet clean, so I'd be totally incompetent in a larger space.

--- 6 ---

When my mom and sisters came by yesterday, they brought a box full of random junk that belongs to me. (They have enough boxes of random junk of their own and aren't interested in storing mine.) I have been enjoying looking at various drawings from when I was about 10 years old. If I suddenly find myself with copious blogging time, I might photograph some of them and post them here. (A printer/scanner is something WAY down our list of financial priorities, sadly.)

--- 7 ---

Time for a picture of Matthew! Isn't he getting SO BIG? (Wah.) 

Those Duplos have been around since I was his age, pretty much. Also, Mom points out that he has dark circles under his eyes because he has an ear infection and hasn't been sleeping. Poor baby.
 

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

7 comments:

Melanie B said...

Oh man. I'm an INTP too. I'm not sure I could handle being married to a J. My dad is a J and my mom a P. I've seen how that works. Oy!

The Sojourner said...

Now I kind of feel bad. I hope I don't sound SO terrible!

Melanie B said...

Oh no, I don't think you sound terrible at all. Just that I know how hard it can be from both sides to accommodate those differences.

The Sojourner said...

Cool. :) It's so hard to get the tone right on these kinds of things. (I would add "on the internet" but I have a hard time conveying hyperbole in real life too. People take me seriously and get all horrified.)

Scott said...

We Ps tend to think that we'll just go with whatever the J needs, without realizing that the J won't necessarily go with whatever we're wandering into.

Liza Jane said...

James and I are literally opposites on myers briggs... It's fun... (try and guess... I'm pretty sure you'd be right)

Sorry it's been so long since I've commented on your blog... I must have missed this post or something.

Your apartment seems to have changed a bit, other than the chair, bookcases, and table (and we didn't see your room)...

We're finally getting our apartment in order so that we can have guests over. Yay for getting close to almost being unpacked!

The Sojourner said...

I think the couch and the pong chair are both "new." You obviously don't visit us often enough, because we've had both those things for months.