Friday, September 14, 2012

Seven Quick Takes: Too tired to think of a title edition


--- 1 ---

Random pet peeve: If your child is 2 years old, he is NOT in his second year of life, any more than 1492 was in the 14th century.

This was actually inspired by one of my Facebook friends getting this concept right. Yes, I am so peevish that I can be annoyed by someone NOT setting off one of my pet peeves.

--- 2 ---
Some funny Amazon review reading for you:

1. Bic for Her Ballpoint Pen

2. Victorio Banana Slicer

I thought the pen reviews were funnier, but I figured I'd include the banana slicer just in case you're offended by the first one.

--- 3 ---

I actually won an argument on Facebook the other day. (By which I mean that the person with whom I was arguing ended up admitting that yes, that text-picture was kind of offensive when he thought about it.) I think I should write the Guinness Book of World Records or something.

--- 4 ---

Yesterday, I was getting some groceries at Kroger. As I walked to my car, I noticed a elderly lady in a van in the space next to my car just beginning to pull out. I made sure to go around the other side of the car so I didn't get in her way. Anyway, she stopped, rolled down her window, and said, "You look pretty in purple!" I said, "Thank you!" (score one for Megan for being able to come up with a suitable response on the spot) and she rolled up her window and drove away. It was bizarre and yet awesome.

A couple of hours later, I had finished all my many errands and was carrying 6 large bags of groceries from my car to my apartment. I had to set them all down to open the door of the apartment building, and one of my downstairs neighbors noticed me trying to gather them all up in order to haul them up the stairs and offered to help. I declined, but I still thought it was sweet. That's the second time that scenario has happened, with two different downstairs neighbors. (Both older and male, though.)

--- 5 ---

I decided the other day to start putting things in Google Calendar so it would be easier to keep track of appointments and such. (It occurs to me that I should put in when our cell phone minutes expire...they last for 90 days, which is just long enough for me to completely forget about their existence.)

Anyway, I was counting and realized that even if you only count immediate family (our parents and siblings) there are 8 birthdays between now and the end of the year. (One in September, two in October, two in November, and three in December. One of the November ones is mine.) Not to mention Halloween (How am I going to score free candy if I can't "help" a 5-year-old eat hers? I'm very concerned about this.), Thanksgiving, our anniversary, Christmas, and New Year's Eve. (I'm not a big party person, but I like having some sparkling cider at least.)

After that, though, there is nothing I need to plan for until my niece's birthday at the end of March. Phew.
 
--- 6 ---

Yesterday it took about 40 minutes to get from "Waking up my computer from hibernation" to "Reading new emails in Gmail." Mostly because Firefox was S-L-O-W. So I bit the bullet and updated it, after ignoring the little popups for, oh, a few months now.

So now Firefox is all different. I don't like it at all.

(It is faster, though.)

--- 7 ---

Matthew would like you to know that he is very big now. But also not too sure about how to get down.

Teresa would like you to know that leopards are very fierce. Even pink, glittery ones.


 For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary! Camp Patton!

2 comments:

Kat said...

Yesterday I was leaving Lowe's with a bag of fertilizer in the bottom of my cart. An elderly black man saw me eyeing it, trying to nerve myself up to put it in the trunk, and stopped his car as he was pulling out, jumped out, and loaded it for me! I was quite grateful.

The Sojourner said...

Aww, that was nice. :)