Friday, October 26, 2012

Seven Quick Halloweenish Takes


--- 1 ---

My hometown is really weird about trick-or-treat scheduling. This year really took the cake, though (or perhaps took the candy?) because official trick-or-treating was scheduled for last night. 

The upside of this is that you get to see cute pictures of my siblings all the sooner!



--- 2 ---

A brief tutorial on how to react properly to the above pictures. (The situation in the video is the reverse, but it is still relevant.)


The fact that somebody thought to put that clip on YouTube makes me really love human beings.

--- 3 ---

I just spent about an hour redoing my mother's Seven Quick Takes post for her because the HTML or something got hopelessly messed up. (I am not actually sure what happened, but when I carefully transferred the relevant bits to a new post they got dewonkified.) As a result, I am allegedly getting an extra handful of candy in the bag of Halloween goodies they are saving for me.

--- 4 ---

Earlier this week, I was coveting apartments with washer-drying hookups. Then I was envying houses with giant kitchens. (One of my old friends from college is looking at houses with her husband. They are torn between a modern townhouse and a nice but older house. The nice but older house has a kitchen that looks to be about 6 times the size of the townhouse kitchen. (She posted pictures on Facebook and solicited opinions.))

My mother claims the solution to itchy feet is rearranging furniture, so I moved some chairs around today. We'll see if that works.

--- 5 ---

I have been doing a little better on the "sticking to bedtime" front this week. (I'm sure you're all fascinated. Just imagine how interesting this blog will be when I have children!) I have been having a bit of "trouble" with my usual nap, in that I would go to bed and doze for about half an hour and then be wide awake again, rather than falling into deep sleep for an hour and a half or so.

So yesterday I didn't take a nap at all and ended up getting overtired and not going to bed until midnight.

My conclusions from these bits of data: 1) I have the sleep habits of a 3-year-old child. 2) I am probably going to spend the rest of my life sleeping from 10-6 and then lying down for half an hour after lunch. At which point I will just have to cut my hair and dye it dark brown in order to completely turn into my mother.

--- 6 ---

The power went out for about an hour and a half this afternoon. I used my computer until the battery was about 50% gone (my battery runs down fast), then hibernated it, had a snack, and read a book.

I am really glad the power came back, not only because my precious internet has returned (the modem can't do its thing without power), but also because you would not believe how much stuff I have in my freezer, even with it being the end of the month.

--- 7 ---

Speaking of books, I read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes earlier this week and am now working my way through the much thicker Good Calories, Bad Calories.

I find his ideas interesting, but he lost me completely when he claimed milk was too high in sugar. Sorry, buddy, but if I'm giving up bread and sweets you will be prying milk out of my cold, dead fingers.

(I was about 20 years old before I realized there are people who don't drink milk. I mean, other than the lactose intolerant. I don't get this. Milk goes with everything and is delicious.)

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

3 comments:

Becky D. said...

I should be insulted with #5 but I was laughing so so hard. Love, Mom

The Sojourner said...

I didn't know announcing that you take naps was that insulting.

DavidD said...

The plus side to #1 is that the weather was awesome last night; it would've been a really stinky night for it tonight.