Friday, October 5, 2012

Seven Quick October Takes



--- 1 ---

The other day, I complained that Scott was crowding me. (I have a very large personal bubble even with my husband.)

Him: "I can't help it. I'm just drawn to you."

Me: "My gravitational field must be stronger because I'm bigger."

Him: "I think that has more to do with mass than volume, though in this case they're probably the same thing."

Me: "Yeah, I think all humans are equally dense."

Him: "That explains a lot."

And then we both dissolved into giggles. (Manly giggles, in Scott's case.)

--- 2 ---

The Christian radio statio to which I listen while driving is having their fall pledge drive this week. I find pledge drives annoying at the best of times, but the thing that really rubs me the wrong way is the fact that they're pushing an "Easy $40 a month donation." Newsflash, radio people: $40 a month is not pocket change to some people.

Look, I'm not saying I'm poor. We're well above the poverty level over here and even "poverty level" in America is pretty cushy compared to, you know, Haiti or something. I am writing this with my handy high-speed internet access, after all. Still, I also don't blow $15 a week on Starbucks or anything.

Let me hasten to say that if you do spend $15 a week on Starbucks, that's fine, as long as you're not starving your children or something in order to afford it. That's just the most common example I see/hear in A) money-saving articles (Packing your lunch instead of eating out can save $50 a week! Giving up one fancy coffee a day can save another $15!) and B) fundraising campaigns. (They haven't said it yet, but I can bet you that they will at some point say that the easy $40 a month donation is like NOT going to Starbucks X number of times. The Starbucks is basically a unit of currency.) And it annoys me because it assumes we all have this lifestyle that, while valid, is completely foreign to my experience.

--- 3 ---

You guys, I get SO MANY coupons all the time. Really. I just sorted coupons for the second time this week and I have a legal pad's worth of paper on the floor next to me.

It wouldn't be so bad if the coupons were a TINY bit targeted. But I get ads for Medicare and electric wheelchairs and carpet cleaning* and roofing and yard care services and I just think about all the trees that died to tell me how I can save money on things I'm not going to buy anytime in the foreseeable future.

*It says in our rent contract that we have to go through the landlord if we want our carpet cleaned.

Oh well. At least I do have one Dairy Queen coupon for BOGO sundaes. Hot fudge, nom nom nom. I think I need to suggest to Scott that we go out on a date sometime before November 30.

(In case you're curious, in light of my last take: We average maybe $5 a month on our dates.)

--- 4 ---

One of my neighbors always parks directly over the yellow line so he's using two spaces. (All cars are "he" in my world, even the ones with actual female drivers.) I've been assuming the car's owner is handicapped and needs the extra space to get in and out, because otherwise why would you do that? I mean, I get that we all get 2 unspecified, unassigned spaces in the parking lot (that's another thing on the rental contract), but if you only have one car it's polite not to hog two spaces anyway.

At least they're not doing this, though:


(Source.)

--- 5 ---

Some Matthew spam:


That is apparently what he does to avoid diaper changes. He can't even walk yet but he can do THAT. Oy.

Teresa was and is a climber too. Just the other day Mom found her with her picnic table pushed up against the trunk of one of our big old trees; she was trying to get high enough to reach the lowest branches so she could climb it.


Dad was taking some pictures to show how patient Tammy-cat is with Matthew and managed to capture this moment for posterity: Matthew putting the end of Tammy's tail in his mouth and biting it. Mom (you can almost see her sitting next to him) pried it out of his mouth and the cat was fine, but Tammy apparently decided to revoke his tail-grabbing privileges--now she pushes his hand away with her paw whenever he tries.


I hope that clicking will embiggen that. For those of you who can't figure it out: Dark blue is my dad, light blue is me, green is my mom. (And red is my uncle Mike.)

--- 6 ---

I still have one piece of cheesecake left in my freezer, but that stuff keeps for months. I know this from experience. So on Tuesday I baked chocolate chip cookies. (I could have, theoretically, eaten the last piece of cheesecake on Tuesday and made the cookies on Wednesday, but Wednesday was a cooking-dinner day and Tuesday wasn't so it seemed better to trash the kitchen on Tuesday.)

Then on Thursday I didn't have a lot of groceries to buy (Really, I spent about $60 when I normally spend about $110 my first trip of the month. I have no idea where all this extra food came from.) so I got another bag of chocolate chips (I bought three bags at the end of last month because it seemed like a good idea at the time and then used one of them for cookies because I had never bought Kroger brand chips before and wanted to make sure they were good. FOR SCIENCE.) and two cans of sweetened condensed milk. So sometime this next week I am going to make plain fudge (this recipe) and freeze it. And then I will make marshmallow fudge, and then I will make cookies and creme fudge (I invented my own recipe for that last year), and then I might make one or two experimental types of fudge as well. You can never have too much fudge, right?

(Yes, I am planning on giving away some of this fudge. Be prepared, friends and relatives!)

While I was impulse-buying fudge fixings on Thursday, I saw pumpkins for sale and almost impulse-bought some of those too. I have declared to Scott that we are going to get some and color them with markers and display them for a little while and then chop them up and cook them into puree. (Geek Lady reminded me of this with her post.) See, if you draw on the pumpkins with markers you can still eat them, but if you cut them up as jack-o-lanterns then you get bugs and whatever inside your pumpkin and have to throw it away. (Or so I've been told. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) Scott seems okay with this plan, but he might have just been tired and distracted when I told him about it.

Incidentally, am I the only person in America who grew up drawing on pumpkins? I was well into my teens before I realized actual people (not just, you know, characters on TV) carved pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns. I think this clever bit of propaganda just came about because there was no way Mom was letting either Andrea or me handle knives. (Last year was the first time she made her own puree, so it can't have been that.)

--- 7 ---

This week is Scott's busiest Schola week for the entire fall "semester", unless his director decides to spring another performance on them out of the blue. (And I think she promised to not do that.) He had his regular practice on Monday night and then this evening he's singing at First Friday Mass and on Sunday there's some kind of Mass with the Archbishop for some unspecified reason. It might just be the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary. 

I'm using that as a cop-out quick take so I can go clean my kitchen or something before I have to leave for Mass myself. (Note to blog-stalking thieves: There's nothing worth stealing here except delicious chocolate chip cookies, so don't bother coming by while we're gone.)

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

4 comments:

jen said...

#2: I'm a KLOVE fan too. Pledge drive season drives me batty however.

#4: Totally a fan of PassiveAggressiveNotes.Com -- I get their updates on Facebook.

#5: It reminds me of Austin Powers 2 where Dr. Evil is telling Mini Me not to gnaw on the kitty.

The Sojourner said...

I have never seen Austin Powers but even out of context that's hilarious.

Scott said...

"Manly giggles..."
Aren't those chuckles?

The Sojourner said...

Probably.