Friday, November 30, 2012

Seven Quick Thanksgiving Takes



--- 1 ---

First, some prayer requests: My mother-in-law's brother was recently diagnosed with brain cancer. I haven't heard any updates on how he's doing, but I'm sure he could use prayers no matter what.

Meanwhile, my mother-in-law herself had to have gallbladder surgery a week ago. She's doing okay last I heard, but of course she wants to recover as quickly as possible so she can go visit her brother.

--- 2 ---

Thanksgiving with the in-laws was nice. Relatively low-key, since my mother-in-law was not exactly feeling 100%. I made green beans and bacon, which were a big hit; my father-in-law reported having 3 helpings.

Younger Elder Brother brought this board game called something like The Game of Things. One of the prompts was "Things you wouldn't want to be allergic to." I was trying to think outside the box a little bit, so I wrote "copper."

As soon as YEB read off my response, Scott and Eldest Younger Brother immediately said, in unison, "Your weakness is copper!?"

Yeah, they're kind of awesome.

--- 3 ---

I finished my NaNoWriMo novel today! I have 50,496 words according to Microsoft Word 2003, and 50,487 according to the NaNo counter.

Now I am totally burned out on writing, so I am going to spend the entire month of December playing Sims.

--- 4 ---

The lovely and brilliant Emily stopped by briefly last Saturday on her way home from visiting her parents for Thanksgiving. (We're actually probably an hour total out of her way, but we'll pretend it was on the way.) We spent most of her brief visit talking about health problems, because apparently we are 80 years old instead of 23/24.

There was going to be something else in this take, but now I forget what it was.

--- 5 ---

I remembered around Tuesday that I still don't have an advent wreath. (Last year, as you may recall, I got married less than 24 hours before the beginning of Advent. I was a little distracted.) So on Wednesday I went down to Wal-Mart and got myself a new watch (I've been needing one for a while) and a fake evergreen wreath and five candles. (3 purple, 1 pink, 1 white.) The wreath and candles were less than $7 altogether. Then I was looking at the candle holders, but they were like $5 apiece, and I didn't want to bump my spending from $7 to about $32. Fortunately, I remembered that we actually already had candle holders in our Big Box o' Christmas Stuff. When I got home, I dug them out (there are 5, which is perfect) and now we just need to set up the Advent wreath and we'll be good.

Well, we also need to figure out if we're actually allowed to light candles in the apartment. THEN we'll be good.

--- 6 ---

Anybody know how to get rid of used books in an easy but mildly profitable way? I have a dearth of closet space and spending money and a surfeit of books I'm never going to read again.

--- 7 ---


Here is a picture of Matthew eating his birthday cupcake. His hair is not actually as dark as it looks in this picture. Our parents DID take him to get a haircut, though. Now his lovely curlies are all shorn. :'(

You can also see the string of one of his dollar store balloons. Teresa was intensely jealous of those balloons, even after Mom pointed out that she got to go to the aquarium for her birthday. Obviously next year Mom and Dad will be able to save a pretty penny on special birthday treats, since it turns out $1 balloons are about a million times better than $25 aquarium admissions.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments: