Friday, February 1, 2013

Seven Quick Takes mostly about food



--- 1 ---

It turns out I had forgotten to buy chicken bouillon, which for me is kind of an essential component of chicken soup. Oops. So my final grocery spending for January was actually $186.49. Do I still win?

--- 2 ---

Speaking of food, there were about 2 hours this week when I seriously considered doing Atkins for Lent. A couple of things dissuaded me, besides the fact that I'm a total wimp and love carbs.

A. My husband said forlornly, "I like pasta..." when I suggested that we just kind of skip bread and potatoes and pasta. I'm going to blame that on his little bit of Italian blood, since normally he's pretty apathetic about carbs. Anyway, aside from the fact that I like to make my husband happy, he's so scrawny that putting him on a diet-by-association would probably go against the Geneva convention.

(When he gains another 10 pounds or so I'll stop worrying about how skinny he is. At his current rate of weight gain that should take about 2 years, as long as he doesn't get too many stomach viruses. Yes, his metabolism is totally insane.)

B. I'm not going to try recipes that require me to buy special Atkins products. Nice try, marketing team, but no. Also, I don't care how many times the FDA tested it, Splenda is gross.

So, I'm just going to recommit myself to eating low carb (but the carbs that I do eat will have REAL SUGAR), and I'm going to try to balance out my carb intake a little bit. I have a feeling that it doesn't do me a whole lot of good to cut back on carbs if the carbs I cut back are vegetables and milk. Contrary to what my German genes are telling me, man cannot live on bread and sausage alone.

--- 3 ---

I finished editing my novel on Wednesday and sent it out to Scott and Mari last night. I had a nightmare last night about them not liking it. Oh well. That's what fourth or fifth drafts are for.

By the way, Mari has a new blog. You should check it out. Then she can have about five readers instead of three.

--- 4 ---

I'm caught up on laundry and more-or-less caught up on dishes after the plague we had for a couple of weeks, but from where I'm sitting I can see this thick layer of dust on the edge of the ceiling fan blade, so I'm thinking I've got some catching up to do still.

--- 5 ---

I really need to work on writing these quick takes throughout the week so I don't find myself scraping the bottom of the barrel on Friday night. I like participating in my little blogging community, but the most exciting thing that happened to me today was finding a stray cart in the Aldi parking lot. Free quarters are awesome.

I also got a pot roast on sale ($3.50 a pound, which isn't great, but I had a hankering for pot roast), and a big bag of cashews also on sale. Cashews are the best.

Oh, and I successfully went to a particular restaurant and purchased a gift card as a belated Christmas present for my in-laws. I talked to a stranger and everything, you guys. I'm like some kind of wizard.

--- 6 ---

My crowdsourcing questions of the week:

1. Are there any lunches out there that have the convenience of lunch meat but with a little less processed-ness? Scott is fine with eating lunchmeat 4 days a week, but I just think it's kind of gross and want to give him better food. But without actually doing any more work.

My Facebook friends all tell me that I need to just deal and make dinner more often so I can pack him leftovers. I am wondering what my blog readers think, though.

2. Are there any forms of exercise that don't require me to leave my tiny apartment? I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and too timid to go to the park down the street and walk the 5k trail. (I'd do that if Scott could go with me, but he's busy.)

Probably the solution to that is to vacuum my apartment more than once in a blue moon. Vacuuming is aerobic, right?

--- 7 ---

To reward you for getting all the way to the end of this post, here is a picture of my brother in dinosaur pajamas:


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

7 comments:

Rosalie Shiffler said...

We have found that our grocery store meat counter will slice a boneless ham to lunch meat-thinness for free if we just bring it to them and ask. Maybe you could do that? It's better quality than prepackaged lunch meat, and is usually a better price per pound as well!

The Sojourner said...

I will probably try that. I see ham on sale for less than $2 a pound all the time, but lunch meat is up to $3.49 or so. (I don't know why I don't buy more ham in general. Maybe I think it's only for holidays or something.) I could probably also try making wraps with ground hamburger or something like that...it'd take less time to make than something like stroganoff.

The Sojourner said...

I would rewrite that comment to have fewer "something"s in it, but my internet connection is crazy slow right now...

Also, hi! Long time no see. :)

geeklady said...

We don't really go for sandwiches around here, so it's usually leftovers. Hearty soups are very good for this because the recipe usually makes loads anyway, and they're filling.
But if you want to focus on more lunchbox-ish foods, you might consider taking the Getting Started W/ Bento course that ought to be starting soon on justbento.com. It isn't going to focus on anything specifically Japanese, just on developing the habit of making portable, appetizing, nutritious lunches at least once a week. I'm going to give it a shot, to try and send regular, healthy lunches and snacks for Mike.

Becky D. said...

For exercise I would check out videos or books from the library. The 8 minute in the Morning books by Jorge Cruise have quite a few exercises in it done at home mostly without equipment. Leslie Sansone has a bunch of walk at home videos. Also check at sparkpeople.com I think membership is free and besides diet tracking there is an exercise area.

The Sojourner said...

I should add my other requirement: It can't involve somebody twice my age and half my weight being SUPER! EXCITED! about exercising. Does anybody do Eeyore Aerobics?

Becky D. said...

I find you can mute most of the exercise videos and not hear their super excitedness about exercise.