Friday, February 15, 2013

Seven Very Random Quick Takes



--- 1 ---

Scott had a gastroenterologist appointment again and lost 1.5 pounds. I punished him by making him eat a cupcake.

Seriously, though, guys, I don't have a paradigm for "people who can't gain weight." Scott doesn't share my passionate love for food, but he eats as much as he can stand (and then I force-feed him a cupcake for good measure), so I don't get why he's still hanging on to the BMI chart by his fingernails. (I don't actually care about BMI that much. I'd rather he could regulate his own body temperature and fight off minor illnesses in less than a week. But we'll use BMI as a stand-in.)

Also, he has to have an outpatient procedure done in the near future. You should pray for him. You should probably pray more for me; he's used to having his digestive system messed with by now but I get freaked out by modern medicine. (It's good stuff, don't get me wrong, it's just...freaky.)

--- 2 ---

On Tuesday we went and had Fat Tuesday Cupcakes with Scott's family. Middle Younger Brother was talking about his college choices (he's got some very good scholarships, hooray for him!) and then Youngest Younger Brother was talking about how he kind of dreads participating in the homeschool co-op because apparently he has a reputation as "that kid who could totally teach the classes." (Just having his three older brothers to live up to would be enough of a challenge, but all the Cobblers will readily point out that YYB is the smartest. "You think I know history facts? My littlest brother knows, like, ten times as many history facts." He does, too. I seriously worry about what's going to happen to him when he goes to college and finds out there's nothing for him to learn there.)

Mr. Cobbler didn't see why this was a problem, so I quickly said, "That's because when you have a reputation, then you get a ninety-seven on your history test and people are like, 'Ohh, what's wrong?' and you're like, 'Nothing's WRONG. I got a NINETY-SEVEN.'"

YYB and MYB both agreed that that was the worst.

I'm sure you're all very sad for us and our terrible problems.

--- 3 ---

Typical YYB: "If somebody tries to sell you vitamin water that has Vitamin K in it, look at it and if it's clear say, 'There's no Vitamin K in here, liar!' Because everybody knows Vitamin K is only soluble in fat."

(This was prompted by me mocking the nutrition information on the side of a container of sprinkles.)

--- 4 ---
What I'm making for dinner:


Vegetable Soup
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tbsp dried minced onion
1 1/2 cup kidney beans (dry--pre-cooked and frozen)
6 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 sm can diced tomatoes
1 lb frozen mixed vegetables
½ cup dried lentils

Throw them all in a pot and cook until the lentils are al dente. There used to be more steps (and fresh onion), but I like cutting out extra steps.


--- 5 ---

My mother and I are "playing the Realtor.com game", which involves looking at houses on...you guessed it...Realtor.com. Sometimes we make fun of them. Sometimes we plot moves out to the country. (I think Mom is getting bored after almost 9 years in the same house. Dad says he's not leaving their current house except in a pine box, though.)

I found a 4+ bedroom farmhouse on 4 acres for 85k. Granted, it looks kind of like Dweej's house in the before pictures, but I think it's cool.

Mom says it looks like it used to be a meth lab and if I ever buy one of those houses she's going to have the grandkids sleep over at her house until I make it less hovel-like.

I told her she has no imagination.

This is, believe it or not, how we bond.

--- 6 ---

Now I'm researching phones with answering machines. We have voice mail, in that somebody can call our phone and leave a message and later that day or the next week or never we can call the voice mail box and get their message. I want a phone that does two things, though:

1. I want to be able to hear the person talking on the answering machine as they leave their message. This way, I can decide whether to jump up and grab it and talk to the person after all. (Normally I don't answer the phone unless it's about time for Scott to call and say he needs picked up at the bus stop. I got THREE calls that weren't him today at around that time and would have loved to have known that so I could let them go to voicemail.)

2. I want the phone to beep or have a flashing light or something when there's a new message. That way I don't have to go to the trouble of actually checking the voicemail every time I go anywhere. I can just look at the display or whatever.

How many hours do you think I'm going to have to babysit to afford such a contraption?

(Our current phone was a hand-me-down from Younger Elder Brother. We appreciate it muchly, but it's about time for an upgrade.)

A few minutes later: Cool, Target has one for $25. It got a terrible review, though.

--- 7 ---

I made a Valentine for Teresa. She asked. Anyway, this is what it looked like:


It has staples on the side because I messed up the inside and didn't want to redo the front. So I cut off the back half of the card and stapled a new back half onto it. I'm hoping 6-year-olds don't notice those sorts of things.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

4 comments:

jen said...

#1: It doesn't matter if it's your husband or your kid -- it's hard when they have to have stuff done (though it's worse when it's your kid).

#6: Maybe buy an answering machine and attach it to a phone? We screen calls as a rule.

The Sojourner said...

#1: Oh, I'm sure it'd be worse if it were my kid. I don't have to worry about my husband not understanding what's going on or panicking when I'm not there or anything.

#6: I will have to look into separate answering machines, though I'm guessing we'll end up going with the combo. I want something that wall-mounts and I imagine two separate things wouldn't do that.

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

I like food lots. I just only have so much room for it, and have an overabundant array of other diverse interests.

The Sojourner said...

Maybe I should say that you don't have my preoccupation with food.