Friday, May 24, 2013

Seven Quick Takes: Some things I love; some things that annoy me


--- 1 ---

As I type this, I am eating a little cup of Graeter's ice cream that Scott got for free at work and brought home for me. It is seriously some of the best ice cream I've ever eaten, even having been melted and refrozen as a result of its ride home on the bus.

My husband is pretty awesome, isn't he?

--- 2 ---

I think this site (full of pictures of authentic Victorian houses) is pretty awesome, and it has been clogging up my tabs for a long while, so I am posting it.

(I kind of want to live in this house. I wonder what it looks like on the inside.)

--- 3 ---

Who here has their dominant ear on the same side as their dominant hand? Or, perhaps I should rephrase. Who here answers the phone using the same side as their dominant hand? Everybody I know is right-handed but holds the phone to their left ear. Somebody (I think my mother) pointed out that OBVIOUSLY, if you do it that way, you can use your shoulder to hold the phone to your ear and still write stuff down. That's all well and good, but I seriously can't process phone-sounds when they are coming at my left ear. It hurts my brain.

I don't know why I thought of that now; I just did.

--- 4 ---

I am irrationally in love with the fact that when you make a link in Blogger, it asks, "To which URL should this link go?" PROPER GRAMMAR FTW!

--- 5 ---

My total grocery spending for April was 197.98. I can put the cone of shame back. At least for now.

(Yes, I am VERY behind on balancing the budget. It's been one of those...years...over here. Seriously, I think I've been tired since January.)

--- 6 ---

Here is a picture of Matthew mopping. He finds mopping VERY EXCITING. Also, he is so cute I want to pinch his cheeks or something.


--- 7 ---

My camera is still lost, but my pea plants are still undead. They're pretty pitiful and spindly, but they have FLOWERS on them now, so if I can nurse them along for a few more weeks maybe I'll get a few pea pods to munch.

Also, I seem to have succeeded in killing all the bugs with nothing but water and dish soap! Go me! (I am very inept at keeping plants alive, but I am also several orders of magnitude larger than the bugs were, so it was not really a fair contest.)

(Updated to add: I FOUND THE CAMERA, YAY! But I'm too lazy to go take a picture and upload it when I'm almost done with this post anyway.)

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

6 comments:

jen said...

I miss Graeter's... Best mint chip ice cream in the world.

The Sojourner said...

You can order it online if you really want to. Of course, maybe I shouldn't introduce that temptation into your life. :)

Liza Jane said...

So, I decided that I wanted to know what was going on in your life... so I read your blog for the first time this year...

1) Scott gets awesome points, that was really cool.

2)I find myself actually excited to see how the peas go this year...

3) Are you going to be at my church location on the second Sunday? I've been feel pretty crappy like, every day lately, but the morning sickness seems to truly have gone down hill. I would like to see you.

The Sojourner said...

As far as I know, we're planning on being at your church location second Sunday. I've been looking forward to catching up with you too...it's been a long time since April and a lot has happened. ;)

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

Re. 3: I can do either one and it completely varies by what's convenient at any given moment.

Re. 4: I imagine they had a dangling preposition at the end in the usual (albeit invalid in this case*) modern English manner, then somebody complained and the complaints department forwarded it to one of the same developers who spends his time creating celebrations of random people and things.

*There are many verbs in English that change their whole meaning when combined with another word, e.g. "to look" vs. "to look up". In a language that remembered how to combine words properly these would often be concatenated -- you will, for instance, see many Latin verbs that start with a preposition that are completely distinct terms from the root verb without any such preposition-as-a-prefix, but in Latin these are one word whereas English does not typically combine words in that way at all. I don't know off the top of my head if any prepositions are used in this way for any English verbs or if they're all adverbs or something of that nature, but if I ever saw a "dangling preposition" and realized that the preposition is changing the meaning of the verb into a different term rather than connecting the basic verb to an indirect object, I would in such a case argue that "it's not a dangling preposition, it's just part of the verb and English doesn't know how to package the words together like other languages do." Maybe somebody with a whole dictionary in their brain could indicate whether there are any such terms, since I can't recall any at the moment but couldn't say there are none either.

Sheila said...

I HAVE to put the phone on my right ear. It's really inconvenient sometimes, especially on a long call when my neck and shoulder get tired and I would like to switch, only I can't. My left ear just ... doesn't like the phone. Everything sounds kind of loud and echoey. This is probably some hearing issue I should know about, but since it only matters with the phone and I can avoid it by putting the phone on the right ... I don't worry.