Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Baby's First Material Possession*

Some time ago, my mother donated some baby clothes to a friend. The friend, being sneaky, sent her a thank-you note that contained a Wal-Mart gift card. My mother felt uncomfortable being "paid" for her generosity, so she gave the gift card to me.

That was back on Mother's Day. Today I needed to get my car's oil changed, so I schlepped off to Wal-Mart with my car and my gift card. I needed some new undergarments (Seriously, the situation around here is becoming entirely unmanageable. You'd think that wouldn't happen until closer to December, but apparently feeding babies is Serious Business and the preparations cannot be put off until the last minute.) but that seemed too prosaic a use for my first ever Mother's Day present, so I bought some baby clothes as well.

See? I took them out of their packaging, because while you're tempting fate with your boldness you might as well go all out.


Here is a closer look at the patterns:


*Technically, there are a few things up at my parents' house that have already been reserved for this baby, but I don't actually have them yet. Maybe this should be "Baby's First Possession That Isn't A Hand-Me-Down."