Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My husband is awesome

Scott and I left for vacation Thursday at about 8:30 a.m. and got back Monday at about 10:15 p.m. I have spent the last two days slowly getting back into my routine, but some things kind of fell through the cracks. Like meal planning. Last night I had Scott dig through the freezer and find some pork chops. I didn't know what I was going to do with them, but I figured I might as well have them thawed in case I thought of anything.

When I picked Scott up from the bus stop, I still hadn't thought of anything. After some discussion, he said, "Why don't we do something with that lemon that's left over from my birthday?" (In order to make lemon cake, it takes the zest of two lemons but the juice of only one, so we had a poor naked lemon sitting in our fridge.)

So Scott threw together butter and lemon juice and garlic and chives and made these amazingly delicious pork chops. It was awesome because we got to eat a delicious dinner and also awesome because the sad little leftover lemon didn't have to get thrown out unused.

The end. More blog posts later to catch you up on all the interesting happenings in my life.

3 comments:

jen said...

scott gets bonus points for creativity.

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

Not really, we'd tried a recipe a while back that used lemon, garlic, chives and pork chops. What was improvised on my part was making it turn out well while ditching everything about the recipe except the ingredients and the fact that the food gets cooked.(The chives and a second lemon were more of a garnish, which strikes me as unnecessary -- but then, I don't get the point of dressing up something you're going to eat... true food decorations should be in flavor, not sight, shouldn't they? And anyway, chives are a good seasoning in their own right.)

I had been thinking of making a little lemonade with that lemon (still want to get some lemons and make lemonade sometime), but since we had pork and nothing interesting to do with it... I personally thought it was fairly obvious given the supplies on hand and the fact that the original recipe was already known to be awesome, if we wanted to do something other than have pork roast with the same seasonings as usual for the hundredth time.

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

For clarity, the first parenthetical statement is referring to the original recipe, to give you an idea of the sort of details that were ignored. There might've been a more complex way the lemon-garlic sauce was handled too, but if so I've forgotten it.

I have thought about pre-tenderizing the pork chops and marinating them in the freezer in the future, which would also divide the lemon juice between the two sets that wind up going into the pan (it makes too much for one pan at once) on top of making it maximally convenient to dump in the pan and cook. We will probably try that if we ever want to make this (or anything in which the sauce matters) again.