Sunday, July 28, 2013

Texas Beef Skillet

My mother somehow acquired this recipe while she lived in Texas. It's very amenable to substitutions, but what you see here is what I do. (For example, you could save yourself a lot of time and effort by using canned beans and instant rice.) 

2/3 cup dried kidney beans (about 2 cups cooked)
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup brown rice
2 cans diced tomatoes (29 ounces total--because you can't get 32 ounces anymore)
2 tablespoons minced dried onion
1 tablespoon chili powder

8 ounces (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
12 ounces (1 bag) nacho chips

1. Soak and cook the beans according to package directions. (This might require starting the night before.)

2. Brown the ground beef in a large skillet. (I have one that's 12' in diameter and it works well.)

3. While the beef is browning, cook the rice.

4. Once those are both done, add the beans, rice, tomatoes, onion, and chili powder to the skillet with the beef. Let simmer for a while.

5. Stir in cheddar cheese just before serving. Eat with chips.

Note the first: I am reasonably certain that in the past I have skipped the step in which I cook the rice separately...it cooks in the tomato juice, if you're patient. However, I will have to verify that in real life and amend the recipe if it's true.

Note the second: I'm adding "gluten free" to my recipe tags because one of my brothers-in-law has celiac. Read labels, don't take my word for anything, etc.

4 comments:

Becky D. said...

The original recipe is from the red cookbook. I altered it greatly over the years.

The Sojourner said...

Does the red cookbook call it Texas Beef Skillet? I always thought you made that name up.

Becky D. said...

The Cookbook calls it Texas Beef Skillet. P 245 You learn something new everyday.

I forgot to mention before that I thought it was funny we both blogged recipes for post #7.

The Sojourner said...

Welp, my whole childhood is a lie now. ;)

Recipes: What you post when you are all out of other ideas. At least we didn't post the same thing.