Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Seven Random Wednesday Takes: FOOD


I wrote most of this post on Saturday and it has languished since. I have lots of things to write about this Friday, so I'm just randomly finishing and publishing it now.


A few weeks ago, we went to a family reunion and I decided to bring these:


They're based off this recipe, found via Pinterest. I think the only difference is that I used mini marshmallows instead of regular sized. Also, mine are a lot prettier. I want to make one of those Pinterest "Nailed it" comparisons now. :)

On the feast of the Assumption, as I mentioned, we went to have dinner with friends and I brought these cupcakes. My changes: I used 2 1/2 cups of homemade pumpkin puree in place of the oil + canned pumpkin, because I wanted to use up some of my puree, and 2 tsp cinnamon + 1 tsp nutmeg in place of the pumpkin pie spice, because I don't know what pumpkin pie spice is. Also, I used more sugar in the frosting...maybe 6 cups? I like my frosting thick and sweet.

I actually think my pumpkin muffin recipe is sweeter than these cupcakes. Maybe next time I'll just make muffins and frost them.


We get pork loin cheap at Meijer, so I am always on the quest for new pork chop recipes. This month's experiment was Parmesan Panko Crusted Pork Chops, another Pinterest find.


I used regular breadcrumbs in place of panko (actually, I used mostly ground-up bread heels from the freezer) and I mixed the parmesan in with the other dry ingredients so I only had to dip twice. (Into the egg and then into the dry stuff.) 

They were AWESOME. Definitely making this again.


The other day I was bored with all our available chicken options and so went to Google and ended up here. We made that with 1 cup of broth (because cutting a boullion cube in half is too much work) and it was AMAZING. It doesn't last long enough, though. I think we got 4 meals (2 meals for each of us) out of 2 pounds of chicken.

Some time later, we made steak using that recipe, except with beef broth and steak seasoning instead of chicken broth and parsley. (Scott got the steak as a birthday present from my parents.) It was likewise AMAZING. I don't know what it is about that recipe that's so magical, but there you have it.


Since I used up all my capital letters for the week on the last two takes, here's a less excited one: My total grocery spending for August was 221.61. Yikes. And that was over the course of only four Thursdays. So I banned myself from shopping on the fifth Thursday in August and put myself on a mission to think of creative ways to eat well using what we already had. I think I did well, though I concede that we had dinner at my in-laws on Labor Day Eve. We wouldn't have starved to death if we hadn't, though. It was just that we hadn't seen them in forever and a 3-day weekend seemed like a perfect occasion. (It was September 1 by then, but I wasn't able to really restock until September 3 because Aldi is closed on Labor Day.)


So during my Eat What You Already Have week, I ran out of dessert. I really like dessert, so I upended my almost-empty container of baking cocoa and made these cookies. I omitted the coconut and I think that made them a bit sticky, but they were still delicious. Scott even liked them, and he isn't normally a big fan of chocolatey things.


On Saturday (August 31) I realized that I was planning to make hamburgers for dinner but only had two hamburger buns in my freezer stash. Oops. I decided to go out on a limb and try to make my own. This recipe was the first one I came across.

These buns are super-duper tasty, especially fresh out of the oven and slathered in butter. Mine didn't look at all round and smooth like those, though. They looked more like drop biscuits. Still, they worked okay as buns and as I mentioned, very nom-worthy as biscuits.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments: