Friday, January 31, 2014

Seven Quick Takes: Growing, sleeping, and not dying



Tad is two months old now, see?


He just had his 2-month checkup this morning--he was supposed to have it last week, but I decided to reschedule instead of taking him out in -15 windchills. He weighed 10 pounds and 13 ounces, was 22.25 inches long, and got a ton of shots. We're dosing him up on Tylenol so hopefully tonight won't be too awful. (He might also be comforted by the fact that he got Angry Birds band-aids. Seriously, they have the coolest band-aids at his ped's office.)


About two weeks ago, this happened:

video

(Please excuse our nasal voices; we all had colds. Also, I have no idea why the video is sideways.)

It has happened several times since then too, so it wasn't just a fluke. Like any first-time mom, I am now convinced that my son is a prodigy and will be composing symphonies at the age of 5.


So far, my best baby purchases have been this swing ($15 from Craigslist) and a ring sling that was made for me by a friend from back home. Tad naps in his swing every morning while I eat breakfast (or sometimes quietly waves his arms and looks disapproving), which is awesome, but the most reliable way to keep him calm and happy is to pop him in the sling for a while. I usually unload the dishwasher while he's in there. Due to my sad lack of physical coordination, it has taken me several weeks of concerted effort to master the snuggle and cross-cradle holds. Regular cradle hold still fills me with confusion and dread. (See here if you don't know what I'm talking about.)



Our big accomplishment of the week was learning how to nurse in the sling. (But only on the right side because I wear the rings on my left shoulder and can't do cradle. But one side is better than zero!) This is a big deal because this kid seriously doesn't stop eating. I read forums sometimes where people complain that their 6-week-old nurses every 2-3 hours around the clock and I have to go read some other thing because it just depresses me. My 9-week-old gives me 2-4 hour stretches of not eating at night, which is lovely. During the day he eats pretty much constantly. *does math* Okay, if I break down the log I kept last Friday, he spent about 1/3 of my waking hours at the breast. (Plus lots more nursing during 8 nighttime sleep hours and 2.5 naptime sleep hours.) That's not quite constantly, but it sure is an awful lot.


We really are doing better in general, though. Nobody's come to clean or cook for us in 3 weeks and we're still surviving. The trash needs to be taken out badly, but that's just because nobody wants to walk to the dumpster in -15 windchills. And we did have frozen pizza for dinner one time last week and another time this week. I am refusing to feel guilty about that because nobody actually cares if we eat convenience food or not, and we haven't run out of money yet.

(Okay, and there was the time two days ago when I was tired and the baby was NOT interested in going to bed, so I handed him off to Scott and said, "Walk with him or something while I get some rest." Scott chose "or something"--which is to say he called his dad to come over and baby-whisper until Tad was in a better mood. My FIL has serious baby-whispering skills.)


Regarding #4, I should also note that Tad's good nighttime sleep is accomplished by cosleeping. I was always kind of attachment-parenting inclined, but during pregnancy I was swayed by all the safe sleep literature into TRYING to get the baby to sleep in his own crib.

That lasted about two weeks before I decided it was safer to purposely sleep with the baby in bed rather than falling asleep with him on the couch because I was SO TIRED and he woke up within 5 minutes of being put down. (Seriously, this kid can be so fast asleep he's like a deboned fish and the second his back hits a crib sheet he's wide awake.) So we all pile in bed together and it works pretty well most days. Of course, now I'm telling Scott that I want a king-sized bed, just in case Tad decides he needs to cosleep until he's 5. :)


My follow-up at the OB was pretty anticlimactic. I had an ultrasound which showed a teeny-tiny bit of retained placenta, but it was all shriveled up (I'm paraphrasing the medical terminology here) and Dr. B doesn't think it should cause any more problems. Obviously I'll call back if I start bleeding again or get signs of an infection or anything, but for now I'm relieved to avoid dealing with a D&C on top of mothering a 2-month-old. (And I'm relieved that even if there are problems down the road I probably won't have to have the birth control pills conversation.)

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

6 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I've still never figured out how to nurse a baby in the sling, so you're one up on me. I think I need some remedial sling training.

The Sojourner said...

YouTube is good for that. :)

geeklady said...

I too fell prey to the "don't cosleep" literature/hysteria. Then I fell asleep trying to rock David at two months and dropped him! So I said nuts to that and we all slept in the bed relatively harmoniously. Raphael just moved straight into he bed once he got too heavy for me to lift up out of the cosleeper - roughly 15 pounds, which happened indecently fast.

We are going to buy a new mattress this year (it's been 10 years, we need one) and we're definitely going king size.

I'm glad everything is going better though. We've been praying for you down here.

The Sojourner said...

Our mattress is a hand-me-down and I'm not even sure how old it is. Pretty old.

And thanks for the prayers. :)

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I'd love a king size. I'm thinking it might be worth sacrificing what little floor space we have to have more wiggle room in bed. Or mattress is almost ten years old too.

geeklady said...

Well, it's not so much that ours is old, it's that the boxspring creaks like it's going to collapse when one of us rolls over. And we're both starting to have back pain which I think is from the mattress. So it's time. And we might as well just get a king size while we're at it - David doesn't come into the bed in the middle of the night much any more, but he feels slighted on mornings when he wants to crawl in and snuggle but there's no room for his wiggly self.