Thursday, February 27, 2014

A short patron saint story

Scott and I started dating in April of 2008. We started trying to figure out how to get engaged in about May of 2009. (I know, you're thinking, "What's so hard to figure out? He asks, you say yes." I won't go into the details, though, because they would make this post very long and boring.)

Fast forward to Christmas of 2010. Scott spends Christmas without me and abruptly decides that he's going to move heaven and earth to make sure that never happens again. He informs me of this intention and I am skeptical, since at that point he didn't have a job or a degree or any one of a number of things.

On January 15, I randomly generated a patron saint using Conversion Diary Jen's page. I got St. John Berchmans, noted that he was the son of a shoemaker (recall that Scott's blog pseudonym is Shakespeare's Cobbler) and thought nothing more of it.

At some point during our conversations about how Scott needed to marry me by Christmas, we decided that we'd rather not marry in Advent, so the latest possible day we could get married was November 26, the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Also, somewhat unrelatedly, Scott ended up getting a job offer on January 28 after I prayed a novena to St. Thomas Aquinas for that intention. (He's not one of the usual employment saints, but he's Scott's Confirmation patron, so I figure he's not a bad bet for Scott-related intentions.)

In March, I prayed a novena to St. Joseph for various intentions relating to the Married By Christmas project. Nothing particularly spectacular happened during the novena, but a couple of days after it ended I was making my weekly holy hour and got this strong compulsion to go look up my patron saint for the year--I hadn't thought of him or done much of anything to acknowledge him since he'd been generated for me. I figured it couldn't hurt and found the link I had emailed myself back in January.

This time I noticed something I hadn't before: St. John Berchman's feast day is November 26.

And, as you know, Scott and I actually did get married that day.

"Random" saint generator, huh?

5 comments:

Becky D. said...

Oh I hadn't heard that story. Now can you remember your saint card that was picked up after our run-in with the semi truck. I think it was a patron saint of emergency workers or something. I still need to get a card/statue and put it in a place of prominence in the house.

The Sojourner said...

http://saints.sqpn.com/book-of-saints-camillus-de-lellis/

Colette Ess said...

I am a little more impressed that the generator gave you John the Baptist for your first year of motherhood. Wilderness indeed!

The Sojourner said...

Perhaps a reminder that I shouldn't lose my head? ;)

Colette Ess said...

*groan*

See? How subtle!