Sunday, May 4, 2014

Seven Quick Takes with retail therapy, power outages, trips to the park, and BOOKS



Remember back in August when I bought materials for a baby blanket? No? That's okay; I barely remember it either.

I finally made that blanket over the course of the last week and a half or so. Behold!



I wanted some more cotton jammies for Tad (about half of the jammies that currently fit him are fleece, which doesn't work with the warmer weather we've been having lately), so we went to Carter's on Tuesday. I ended up spending $36 altogether, but I DID get a set of jammies. (And some pants, and some shoes, and some onesies...)


On Friday I made these brownies in honor of Tad's name day. (If you're up on your calendar of saints, you now know what his middle name is. Yes, we really did call him that.) Then we put ice cream on top. This might have to become a family tradition.



We had a bit of an adventure on Wednesday evening when our power went out. Fortunately Scott's parents still had power (I guess that's the advantage of living just over the county line), so we went over to their house and got free dinner and everything.


Tad had his worst night of sleep in a long time right after that. I went to sleep around 11 (foolish mama), he woke up at 1:00 and had to be walked to sleep, and then he woke up again at 3:00 and nothing would soothe him back down. He finally fell asleep again at 5:00 but at that point I was good and awake. We crashed for a nap around 11 a.m.

Fortunately he's slept well since then. Yesterday he took a 4-hour nap ending at 6:30 p.m. and he still slept fabulously last night. (I guess sleep does beget sleep.) Of course, I had insomnia and was up until about 2 a.m. Can't win around here.


I read Cruel Beauty between Wednesday and Friday. I really loved it, but the ending bothered me a bit--not the content, just the pacing. It was incredibly tightly paced up to the first climax and then suddenly we're dumped into what feels kind of like an epilogue, except then we get another climax. It left me feeling vaguely dissatisfied. Still, I highly recommend the book and am going to read it again as soon as I can because I think I missed some stuff gobbling it up the first time.


Yesterday I had to go to the library to pick up a book that was in on reserve and would be gone by the time my usual Wednesday library trip rolled around. (So annoying.) Normally I'd leave the baby home with Scott for such a short trip, but today I got the brilliant idea to pack everybody up and go to the park across the street from the library.

We had fun.


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary! And to buy her NEW BOOK, go here!!! (I haven't read it yet, but if I win an Amazon gift card as a result of mentioning it in my Quick Takes, I'll buy it. Very meta, huh?)

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

You forgot to say it was an awesome dinner that you had on Wednesday! ;-)

The Sojourner said...

All that sleep deprivation does make me rather forgetful. :)