Sunday, June 15, 2014

Inventions

- Once upon a time, my dad "invented" something called the microfreezer. It works like a microwave, but it makes things cold instead of hot. Say you want a bunch of ice for your cooler on a hot summer day. Pop some water in the microfreezer and you have plenty of ice in just a few minutes!

I was thinking of this a few weeks ago when I was making no-bake cookies for a chocolate fix and realized they had to CHILL. It was terrible, all that waiting.

- This probably already exists somewhere, but when Tad was small(er), I came up with the idea for a drive-thru library. You pull up in your car and you can return books and get reserves. (You can't just have the librarians working the drive-thru browse for you, though. That would take too long.) That way if you have a baby who somehow fell asleep during the 5-minute drive to the library, you do not have to wake the baby up getting out of the car.

- Scott and I were waiting for the bus the other day and discussing how the bus schedule changed slightly so now we have no idea if we're late or early on any given day. I said it would be cool if somebody made an app and named it after those notice board in airports that tell you whether your flight is on time, boarding, delayed, etc. This app could be synced with the busses somehow (probably via GPS) and you could not only look up the bus schedule but find out whether a particular bus was running late or not.

- Speaking of baby sleep, somebody needs to make noise-cancelling headphones for babies, so that when the baby desperately needs a nap, you don't murder the person who coughs just as he's falling asleep and wakes him up.

I was telling my mother about this invention earlier today and she reminded me that once upon a time I said that I was never going to tiptoe around my babies so that they would learn to sleep even when it was noisy.

Well, I did say that, and then I had a baby who DOES NOT SLEEP. You change your tune real quick when you get one of those non-sleeping babies, let me tell you.

8 comments:

geeklady said...

1. It's called liquid nitrogen. >:-D
3. Our university buses have that gps app thing. Buses frequently blink in and out of existence. Like electrons.
On babies sleeping. Mine requires a human host. It's most wearisome. Without a host, little noises wake him.

The Sojourner said...

They're cute little parasites, though, aren't they?

DavidD said...

The main library in downtown Dayton has a drive-up window.

DavidD said...

Oh, and the microfreezer would turn water into ice cubes in just a few seconds. A few minutes? Are you kidding?

The Sojourner said...

I wonder if I had some kind of fuzzy memory of the drive-up window in Dayton.

DavidD said...

Me again....

There was a library in San Antonio--it may have been the library on Fort Sam Houston--that had a free-standing, drive-up, night deposit box for returns; it was like putting your mail in the drive-up mailboxes at the Sidney post office. It didn't allow you to pickup your reserves, though....

Sheila said...

Haha, Marko was such a light sleeper and I always thought it was my fault for having such a quiet house. So I was sure Michael would be a deeper sleeper with all the background noise.

Nope. He just napped in 10-minute increments and spent the rest of his days crying. Deep sleepers are deep sleepers, light sleepers are light sleepers. You can't change it. It's the way they are.

If I could choose, I wouldn't have those two share a room. Two light sleepers, neither of whom consistently sleep through the night, is a terrible combo.

The Sojourner said...

You poor thing, getting two bad sleepers in a row. I'm holding out hope that my super intense, high-needs, non-sleeping baby means that statistically speaking, #2 will surely be one of those easy babies that make other parents smug. (My chiropractor has THREE young children and she tried to tell me the other day that if you just put them in their crib and leave them there, they WILL sleep. I wickedly wished a surprise pregnancy on her so the law of averages can bite her in the butt.)