Saturday, September 13, 2014

Baby bullets

- He has seven teeth. Only the upper right lateral incisor is missing now.

- He loves food. I am probably going to move him up to three "meals" a day soon.

Foods that he has particularly liked:

--Sour fruits. Up to and including lemons, but also including more normal things. All forms of pit fruit (peaches, plums, nectarines) have been big hits.

--Dry cereal. Cheerios have some kind of magical hold over babies, to which Tad is not immune, but when I ran out of Cheerios he decided that Rice Krispies were an acceptable substitute. I justify the added sugar and artificial vitamins on the grounds that he's practicing his pincer grip.

--Bread crusts. I think he likes these because they don't fall apart in his hand but are easy to gum to death once he bites off a piece. He's never had storebought bread, but he's had a few different kinds of homemade, including cornbread.

--Meat. If you give him a mixed dish (like chicken noodle soup), he almost always goes for the meat first. I am happy that he is in less danger of becoming anemic but sad that his diapers smell really bad now.

--Fish. Perhaps he just seems to like this in contrast to his father, who is and probably always will be very tepid about fish. Tad has had canned tuna and salmon in small quantities (small because he doesn't need that much salt), and last night he went to town on some shrimp alfredo.

- I think my attempts to push "all done" are starting to bear fruit. About 1/3 of the time when he finishes a nursing session, instead of pinching me as hard as he can so I put him down, he smacks himself on the head. I say, "All done?" and sign at him and then plop him on the floor and everybody's happy.

(I haven't seen "milk" again since that first week or two, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere.)

- He babbles constantly. You can tell that he's practicing different sounds until he masters them and then moving on to the next. His sound of the week is a popping noise that's halfway between beatboxing and arm farts (but with his mouth). I have no idea how this is going to come in handy for actual talking, but apparently he thinks it's important. I just think it's hilarious.

- He knows how to climb up stairs. We're working hard on teaching him to get back down.

- He learned how to climb onto the couch yesterday. Pro: People will actually be able to sit there now that I'm no longer tempted to pile stuff on the back. Con: I have nowhere to put my stuff! We really need to move.

- He really wants to be a grownup. He absolutely hates being in his exersaucer or in his playpen or behind a baby gate. If you open the fridge, he wants to climb in. If you are unloading the dishwasher, he pulls stuff out too. If you're in the bathroom, he tries to dig through the trash. If you're sitting at the computer, he reaches behind himself while nursing and pounds the keyboard. (No, really. He has skills.) It's so incredibly frustrating to him that he can't do everything we can do (like walking or getting down once we've climbed up things or being able to open cabinets that have rubber bands over the handles). And of course that's probably not going to change anytime soon, considering he's not even officially a toddler yet.

1 comment:

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

I like (non-shell)fish. Less than meat, perhaps, but I like it. I just don't have it often anymore since I can no longer season it on pain of the mystery illness.

(For those wondering, I'm ambivalent about shellfish due to a mix of "this is a weird texture" and "I don't really know how to tell the edible meat from whatever else these creatures are made of.")