Friday, January 23, 2015

Stream of consciousness

My aforementioned progesterone supplements are helping, but I can still tell where I am in my cycle based on the state of disarray of my apartment. (If it's "So messy you'd be ashamed to invite over your mother-in-law," that's the follicular phase. If it's, "So messy you contemplate setting the whole thing on fire and starting over," that's the luteal phase.)

I'm having a good week currently; yesterday I reorganized Tad's toys so that the living room doesn't look like Babies R Us vomited in it, and today I vacuumed the living room, dining room, and hallways.

Tad finds the vacuum terrifying (I obviously didn't use it enough when he was in the womb), but fortunately for my spine, he has moved on from needing to be perched on my hip the entire time I'm vacuuming. Now he toddles along after me, babbling reproachfully and occasionally bursting into tears if the vacuum should happen to blow air on him.

He hates weather, incidentally. Especially wind, but any inclement weather will do. If we go outside and it's anything other than dry and calm, he scowls and gibbers complaints at me until we get into the car.

He had a spur-of-the-moment pediatrician appointment on Wednesday at which he scored some antibiotic cream for his poor bum, and that's all we'll say about that. He also weighed 22 pounds and 2 ounces, so we need to switch his carseat to the other recline level. (It has one rearfacing level for 5-22 lbs and one for 22-40 lbs, and he was 21 lbs 2 oz when we bought it for him, poor thing.)

His new baby cousin was baptized on Sunday and when we put the two of them next to each other Tad looks HUGE and OLD and it makes me all broody. Also, we had him wear shoes to complete his outfit and from the way he carried on and refused to walk you'd have thought we'd broken both his ankles. We took the shoes off and he happily toddled around his grandparents' house in the wake of his older cousins and some of their cousins.

I decided two days ago to push him to take only one nap. We'll see if I change my mind in another two days, but so far it's going well. Yesterday I distracted him with grocery shopping all morning and then he napped from 12-3 (though he needed resettled at about 1:30), went to bed peacefully a little after 9, and stayed in bed until 8. (He did wake up a couple of times wanting to nurse, but if I don't have to actually get up I call it a good night.) Today I distracted him with vacuuming (he did not enjoy that nearly as much as grocery shopping) and then put him down a little after 12, resettled him at 1:30, and he's still sleeping now, at 2:35. But I should publish this post and go do some dishes or something before he wakes up.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Wow, that is some great sleep! Hooray!

The Sojourner said...

It's the first time an attempt to influence his sleep for the better has actually worked. I feel drunk with power.