Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Cream of soup

Lately I have been trying to make an effort to be a bit more health-conscious, and one of the things I am therefore trying to phase out of our diet are canned soups. We don't generally eat straight up canned soup anyway, but we do occasionally use it in cooking. So here are two substitutions I've tried in the last few days.

***

Chicken pot pie:

Cook chicken in big oven-safe pot. (I have a stainless steel skillet that works okay, but I really want a dutch oven.) When it's cooked, add about 1/4 cup olive oil or butter or whatever. Then add 1/4 cup flour and stir until the chicken is coated in a sort of bready paste. Then add 2 cups of milk and a teaspoon or two of salt (I used 2 and it was a bit salty, so maybe 1.5?) and cook until thick and bubbly. Then add vegetables and crust and cook as normal.

This was a big success, other than being slightly salty. Scott declared it, "Even richer and creamier than usual." That man knows the way to a woman's heart.

***

Stroganoff:

Cook beef, do not drain. Add 2 tablespoons flour, stir, add 1 cup milk, cook until thick and bubbly. Then follow the recipe as normal.

I accidentally added 1/4 cup flour because I forgot I was only doing 1 cup of milk, but it worked out fine anyway. I did not add any extra salt because this recipe already has cooking wine and boullion.

This tasted okay but not fantastic; I think the main problem was that I wasn't paying very much attention and certain things got a bit scorchy. I will try this again sometime before I declare it an unqualified success.

3 comments:

Nora Roisin said...

When you say soup, do you mean cream of whatever soup? We always used that in recipes; never alone. I think of it as an ingredient. I do want to try to make those items we create (actually those two are good examples of the sort of thing) from actual scratch; say, roux style, or white sauce style.

Nora Roisin said...

I just realised your name was 'cream of soup'. It shows how much attention I pay to some titles... but whatever.

Lady W said...

I've found that most recipes that call for cream of whatever are just using it as a cheat for gravy.