Sunday, August 23, 2015

Experimental Cookery

Two recipes for y'all today, both of which will probably be edited without comment as I refine them with further experimentation.

Both of these meals were inspired by, "I have a tight grocery budget so I'm going to use up random things I dig out of the freezer."

*******

Pork and rice stir fry

2 cups rice
A splash of olive oil
2 lbs pork, cubed
2 carrots
1 head broccoli
4 oz mushrooms
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

Cook rice in a smallish pot

In a large skillet, cook pork in olive oil

Add vegetables and spices and cook covered for about 20 minutes

Add broth, sauces, and cooked rice and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes

(My husband says that I should buy teriyaki sauce or something like that, considering I don't like the taste of straight-up soy sauce but Worcestershire sauce isn't very Asian.)

*******

Ham and bean soup

1 ham bone with meat on it
10 c water
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tbsp salt
-
3 carrots
3 stalks celery
1 onion
2 tbsp parsley
3 cups cooked beans

Add ham bone through salt to crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Put a strainer in a big bowl and pour contents of crockpot into it so that the broth is retained in the bowl and the solid pieces are in the strainer.

Return broth to crockpot; pick meat off hambone and add to broth. Discard bone, vegetables, etc.

Chop additional carrots, celery, and onion and add to ham/broth mixture along with parsley. Cook on low another 3-4 hours.

Add beans and cook for about 15 minutes.

2 comments:

Lady W said...

Michael likes the soy/worcester combination for stir-fry, too. He can't stand the taste of ginger or any of the sweetness which is in more "traditional" stir-fry sauce bases (brown sugar/wine/sesame oil/sherry, etc.).

The Sojourner said...

I feel as though Michael and I could bond over food.

I don't like sweet/savory combinations in general. No cranberry glaze on my Cornish hens, no brown sugar on my ham...