Friday, August 28, 2015

What's for supper?


Because this linkup is even easier than Seven Quick Takes, which means it's about my speed.

For those of you who are new here, I am cooking for a 26-year-old dudeperson, a 25-year-old ladyperson, and a 21-month-old vortex of hunger. The adult people have assorted health problems that mean we have to eat a lot of meat. Also we just like meat. The little vortex likes meat too.

Saturday: Ham and bean soup. I was going to make this on the stovetop, as one does, but Scott wanted to go to Confession so I converted it to a crockpot soup and got it all ready before we left for Confession and the Vigil Mass. And then I locked my keys in the car so we didn't get home until 7 p.m. and the carrots were kind of mushy but man were we glad for that soup.

Sunday: We had leftovers. We always have leftovers on Sunday because I don't cook because I am more pious than you.

Monday: Chicken alfredo. This alfredo sauce, linguine, chicken, and a couple handfuls of spinach from the bag of spinach I keep in the freezer for emergencies. And when I say "emergencies" I mean "days where I want to feel sanctimonious about our vegetable eating and so put spinach in random stuff."

Tuesday: Beef stroganoff. I put too much salt in it (to compensate for not putting enough salt in the chicken pot pie last week--because that's totally how cooking works) but everybody liked it anyway. Also green beans.

Wednesday: More leftovers!

Thursday: Pork stew. I use this recipe except I use regular potatoes and leave out the ginger and recently leave out the bay leaves as well because I ran out a couple months ago and haven't gotten around to buying more and use a boneless pork loin and substitute half a tablespoon of Italian seasoning for the thyme and allspice and don't really follow the directions except don't forget that sneaky "2 cups of water" because otherwise the stew turns out gummy and gross.

So, yeah, love that recipe. Five stars.

Friday: Stuffed shells. Right now it's 2:30 and I have already mixed up the filling and pretty soon I will cook and stuff the pasta because I want this to be ready to pop into the oven the second we get home from picking Scott up. Complicated Friday dinners are no bueno in this household because we all get super hangry without enough animal flesh and yet for some reason persist in keeping meatless Fridays year round.

See Simcha for more questionable food choices!

2 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

LOVE IT! Especially the Vortex of Hunger part. My Vortex of Hunger, age 19, has just returned to college, so I expect my food bill to drop off in about 4 weeks when I stop cooking for 5 even though there are only 3 here.

The Sojourner said...

Glad you liked it. :)

My MIL says it's impossible to keep up with cooking when my college-age BIL comes home. (And this even though she still has three other children at home, including a newly 18-year-old boy who is over 6 feet tall and so skinny that if you hugged him you'd get a paper cut.)