Friday, September 4, 2015

What's for supper?


Saturday: Chicken broccoli pasta--you cook a bunch of chicken in a stick of butter and a couple teaspoons each of basil, oregano, and minced garlic. Then you add broccoli and keep cooking until the broccoli is done. And while you're doing all that you cook some pasta on the side and then you mix them all together.

It's actually much simpler than it sounds; I make it as a quick-and-easy meal for when I can't think of anything else. But on Saturday Scott made it so it took an hour and a half and a lot of effort. Hey, you can't learn if you don't try, right?

Sunday: Leftovers.

Monday: Drunken meatballs. I was going to make spaghetti but ran out of stuff, as explained in the other post, so I made this. I roasted up the leftover half-bag of broccoli with olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper so that we'd have a vegetable.

Tuesday: Ham and bean soup. This time we did not lock ourselves out of our car and get home an hour later than usual, so the veggies were kind of crunchy. Hey, you can't learn if you don't try, right?

Wednesday: Leftovers again.

Thursday: Roast chicken and vegetables in the crockpot. (Scott has been working late recently because of an Upgrade so I've been putting the crockpot through its paces.) The chicken was so tender that it fell apart and I had to take it out of the crockpot in about 8 pieces and then fish the veggies out of the stew of juices and little bits of skin and chicken bones that ended up at the bottom of the crockpot. It didn't look pretty but it sure tasted good.

My chicken spice rub was a conglomeration of a few different sources and went like this:
3 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper

Once we were done gobbling up all the meat we could hold, I put the big pieces in a dish in the fridge for Saturday lunch (we can't eat them today because Friday, weep weep) and all the little pieces in a dish in the freezer so I could make chicken noodle soup sometime next week. (I also put most of the bones in the freezer.)

Friday: Macaroni and cheese, except I forgot to get shredded cheddar at Aldi when I was there so Tad and I will have to walk to Kroger after his nap and get some. This hurts my miserly heart because the Kroger cheese is 1.67 for 8 ounces and the Aldi cheese is 2.99 for 16 ounces, but let's pretend I would be using at least 35 cents in gas to get to Aldi so I can justify not wanting to put Tad into and out of his carseat for 1 thing.

[insert pause here]

Actually, I just went to this site and apparently gas to drive the 4 miles to Aldi would cost at least 60 cents, even assuming good highway driving mpg. So, am being frugal!

See Simcha for more eating of food.

No comments: