Saturday, February 6, 2016

What We Eat Part 1

I last did a series like this back in 2012, when we had 1 fewer person in our family and I was shocked by eggs costing 1.49/dozen. Those were the days.

I have been meaning to revisit the topic for a while but procrastination got in the way. Then Sheila did a similar post so I am going to jump on the bandwagon.

Normally I would not have 5 different receipts to photograph but this week was SUPER busy so I kind of squeezed grocery shopping in around other things. In fairness, the two trips to Kroger were on foot and the second Aldi trip was a quick stop on the way back from something else so I did not waste as much gas as you might imagine.



This was also my first try at a cash envelope system (thanks a lot, Dave Ramsey), which was a total pain in the butt. I allotted $55 for groceries because that was what we had left after doing boring stuff like paying the rent. I ended up stealing 12 cents out of my toiletries envelope for a total of $55.12 for a week of foodstuffs. The $5.38 chicken package was the smallest one in the cooler, okay?

There was also $9.69 in WIC purchases but I'm not sure that would be a 1:1 conversion for somebody without WIC. For example, I'd probably just buy more oatmeal instead of getting Cheerios.

Now for the menu:

Breakfast: Tad and I have fried eggs and oatmeal/cereal pretty much every day.

Lunch: Grownups eat leftovers and Tad eats either leftovers or peanut butter bread depending on what we have.

Dinner:
Wednesday: Spaghetti with meat sauce
Thursday: This pork stew, more or less
Friday: Cheese pizza
Saturday: Chicken parmesan (with ground-up oatmeal in place of bread crumbs)
Sunday: Leftovers
Monday: TBS
Tuesday: Rosemary pork, mashed potatoes, green beans

I also made a batch of homemade pudding on Wednesday because I felt like it and made a loaf of sandwich bread on Friday. Scott made some stovetop popcorn for us on Friday night.

My main failing this week was not buying nearly enough fruit. If I had tried harder I could have made dinners cheaper and squeezed out an extra few dollars--e.g. having rice or biscuits with the pork instead of mashed potatoes would have allowed me to buy a bag of apples. Oh well. We won't die of scurvy before next Wednesday. (And if we do start losing some teeth I can always use the rest of our WIC fruit/veggie allowance.)

4 comments:

jen said...

simcha fisher now has a meal-planning link-up if you are interested.

http://aleteia.org/blogs/simchafisher

The Sojourner said...

I think I've seen that, but might have to check it out again.

Sheila said...

You won't get scurvy if you eat the skins with your potatoes. They are actually quite high in vitamin C. So's cabbage. I reassure myself with this when I worry we don't eat enough fruit. I basically don't eat fruit at all because no matter how much fruit I buy, the kids eat it all and there's still never as much as they want. But I do eat cabbage, so there.

The Sojourner said...

That's a good point about potatoes--though Tad usually doesn't eat them with skins on--I'll bake us potatoes as a snack and he will pick out the flesh and then I eat the skin for him. There's Vitamin C in breastmilk, right? :p

Tad is totally a little fruit bat--darts around making supersonic screeching noises until he finds some. ;) Plus fruit has the benefit of not requiring prep time (unlike meat and vegetables, which generally have to be cooked) but I feel better about giving him 5 servings of fruit than I do about letting him eat half a box of Cheerios in a day.

Cabbage is not one of the three vegetables I'm willing to eat*, but I have been feeling as though I should learn since we don't eat any purple vegetables and aren't you supposed to eat the rainbow or something? (Solution: Skittles!) Probably I will buy one when they do on sale in mid-March and it will languish in my fridge until I throw it away racked with guilt for wasting food.

*Okay, I think I have carefully worked my way up to 6 or 7 vegetables in the last few years. Roast cauliflower was a revelation. Maybe I should roast cabbage.